Pick up your favorite type of chicken at the store and fire up the grill because with just a few ingredients you’ll have dinner on the table in no time. Freshly grated ginger is combined with orange marmalade to create a sweet glaze with a little zip on top of seasoned grilled chicken. I like to use chicken pieces as opposed to a whole chicken so you get more of the glaze in the final product but any chicken will do. As an alternative, glaze grilled chicken breast to make an excellent addition to a salad.
Orange and Ginger Grilled Chicken
- 4-5 lb fresh bone-in chicken, cut up into piece
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp ancho chile powder may substitute smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 3 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 bunch scallions, sliced
- Preheat the grill to medium heat or approximately 325F-350F. Wipe down burners with some cooking oil on a paper towel with tongs or alternatively spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix orange marmalade and ginger together, set aside.
- Trim chicken if necessary and toss pieces in olive oil. Combine the rub ingredients together and evenly coat chicken. Place chicken on the grill, close the lid, and cook until it reaches an adequate temperature. If white meat (breast meat) cook to 155F, if dark meat (legs and thighs) 170F. Note: the chicken will continue to cook longer once glazed.
- Slightly warm glaze in a microwave or small saucepan on the stove or grill to make it easier to brush on chicken pieces.
- Lower heat on grill to low-medium, brush glaze on chicken and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes. At this point you are just setting up the glaze. If you would prefer to protect the grill from the glaze dripping down below, feel free to place the chicken on a sheet pan prior to glazing, and placing the sheet pan on the grill to finish.
- Remove chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes. Garnish with scallions and serve.