Flat Iron Steak Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
Grilled flat iron steak with a classic balsamic dressing of goat cheese, fruit, and nuts
- 2 6oz flat iron steaks
- 1 tsp kosher salt (1/2 tsp for each steak)
- 1 tbsp oil (with high smoke temp (canola, avocado, grapeseed, ghee etc)
Honey Balsamic Salad Dressing
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 5 tbsp honey (or more to adjust sweetness)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot (small, finely minced)
- salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Glazed or Candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup glazed or candied pecans (bought or made, recipe below: may substitute raw or toasted pecans)
- 1/2 cup pecans halves or whole
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 pinch salt kosher or sea salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 16oz spring mix lettuce (or lettuce of your choice or fresh spinach)
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 3 oz dried cranberries (such as Craisins)
- 1 pear (fresh such as red or bartlett pear, sliced. May substitute apples if preferred)
Grill flat iron steak
Salt each steak with 1/2 tsp kosher salt. If dry-brining, put on elevated rack in refrigerator uncovered for 1-4 hrs prior to cooking. If not, proceed cooking.
Preheat grill to high and direct heat.
Clean grill grate if necessary and wipe with vegetable oil on paper towel with tongs to prevent sticking.
Grill steak 4-5 minutes on first side and 3-5 minutes on flip side depending on thickness.
Remove steak from grill when 5°F short of target temperature when measured with instant read thermometer. For rare- 120°F, medium-rare- 130°F, medium 135°F, medium well-145°F
If desired, season with fresh ground pepper after pulling off grill.
Tent steak with foil on the plate and rest for 5 minutes.
Slice steak against the grain and serve on salad.
Honey Balsamic Dressing
Whisk balsamic vinegar and mustard together.
Add olive oil slowly while continuing to wisk dressing.
Add minced shallot.
Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Taste dressing. If you prefer it sweeter add more honey. If too tart, add more olive oil until well adjusted.
Make candied pecans
In a skillet over medium heat, add brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and water. Heat until sugar dissolves and is bubbling. Add pecans, stir to coat them and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat, spread out on parchment paper or silicone mat to cool completely. May make ahead of time and store until needed.
Place lettuce in large bowl
Slice pears and arrange on salad
Add goat cheese, dried cranberries, pecans and steak to salad
Serve immediately with honey balsamic dressing on the side
If not eating salad immediately, top salad with steak upon serving as to not wilt the lettuce or melt the goat cheese.